The Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) is a symptom monitoring, crisis planning and self-help mental health recovery programme. It was first developed by Mary Ellen Copeland and further developed by a group of people who experience mental health difficulties. They learned that they can identify what makes them well and then use their own wellness tools to relieve difficult feelings and maintain wellness, resulting in recovery and long-term stability. WRAP does not replace traditional treatments and can be used as a compliment to any other treatment. It is a simple self management tool which helps people gain more control over their well-being. It is intended to help people plan for themselves how best to maintain wellness and reduce and better manage periods of illness. It is a highly individualised plan which is developed and owned by the person who writes it and can be continually updated.
WRAP® covers the following topics:
- What are you like when you are well?
- Wellness Toolbox – things you can do to stay well.
- Daily Maintenance Plan – things you commit to doing daily to stay well.
- Identifying Triggers - how to cope with what throws you off balance and how to manage this.
- Identifying Early Warning Signs and plan your own “Action Plan”.
- When things break down, what you can do and how to get yourself back on track.
- Crisis Planning - how you can stay in charge when a crisis does happen
- Post Crisis Planning.